*DropBox (www.dropbox.com) is a super easy file transfer system. I put the illustrations in my DropBox folder and send you an email link to where you can pick them up. It's safe and fast, and if you have your own publisher they can pickup the illustrations from the DropBox folder too, which means that your book will get published faster.
Getting Started Project Stages
The four simple steps that take place from our initial contact right through to artwork delivery or finished printed book/ebook.
It is my desire to make the whole process of the artwork production for your book as simple and as fun for you as possible.
Stage 1: Our Initial Contact
Please read over the information on this website.
It has been written to educate you on the adventure you are about to begin!
Email me for a quote with this information:
the Illustration Style that you'd like for your story.
the written descriptions for all the illustrations for your story.
Here's an example of how to write the illustration descriptions:
Each page of your story should include the text for that page as well as "illustrator notes"for the illustration on that page, just like the example below :
Note to Illustrator: This illustration will show a little mouse town behind a row of stores
Text for this page:
Long, long ago six cousins came to America in search of freedom and a better life. They named their first colony Mouseville. And now, many generations later, six cousins still reside in the little town of Mouseville, located in the heart of the town behind a row of stores.
Note to Illustrator: This illustration will show Yellow Mellow standing on a tree stump bragging about his ancestors with the other mice paying attention. There will be grass, trees, sky.
Text for this page:
Cousin Yellow Mellow said that his ancestors came to America on a clipper ship loaded with tea and spices. He said that many of them drowned as they battled the storms and typhoons along the way. He went on to say that huge waves splashed down on the deck of the ship, and that is why he is a better swimmer than regular mice.
The "illustrator notes above" are how you imagine your story and must be included to give me "guidance in the right direction" as to what you are looking for in the illustrations.
You may think that your story's text adequately explains what the illustrations should look like but that is not the case. By adding illustrator notes now you'll be saving yourself and myself potential headaches down the road.
If you believe that your notes will not allow me to use my creative freedom this is also not the case, if I have better ideas for the illustrations then they will be included it in the pencil sketches.
After I've read the information in your quote request I will then provide you with a quote for your book illustrations .
If you find the quote to your liking we will then proceed to Stage 2.
Stage 2: Let's get your book started
The Illustration Work Order and Deposit Payment
Once you have confirmed that my quote is acceptable.
1. I create the contract / illustration work order.
The contract is written very clearly, no legal jargon, and outlines the work to be done, the payment methods, and when each payment is due.
2. This contract is then emailed to you for your review. If the contract is acceptable, you then simply email it or snail mail it back to me with your initial deposit to begin the illustration process.
3. The method of payment for your deposit is by credit card with PayPal on my main website page. The other methods of payment are your choice of: International Money Order or a wire transfer of funds.
4. If you choose an immediate form of payment (credit card, Paypal money transfer, or wire transfer) for your deposit, work can proceed while the contract is being delivered by regular mail.
Please note: No work can begin until the deposit has been received.
Stage 3: The Creative Process
1.Sketching can begin on the illustrations for your book once your book's size has been chosen, When the black and white rough pencil sketches are ready I email them to you for approval.
2. It is your responsibility to review the sketches and if you'd like changes made to the sketches then list the changes in point form in a reply email. No change requests will be accepted by phone.
3. If you approve of the sketches then please state that in your reply email. The client is allowed one Free revisions to each sketch before additional charges apply. If a revision is required due to the fault of the
illustrator then additional charges will not apply for the resulting revision.
4. A. Once all the black and white sketches are completed and gone through the revision stages and approved by you the second installment payment is required. I then begin on the finished colored illustrations.
B. Once the final art color illustrations are completed I email the low resolution email-friendly color images to you for approval and you reply with either a change request or approval of the image.
5. For the color illustrations you are allowed one revision to each color illustration based on color. Should you require additional changes to the color beyond that one revision or should you require changes to the original sketch (before color was applied) then additional charges will apply. If a revision is required due to my misunderstanding then additional charges will not apply for the resulting revision.
6. After all the color illustrations have been completed and approved by you the final payment is required.
Stage 4: Delivery
After I receive the final payment from you, I will place all your book illustrations in my DropBox* folder and email you a link where you can pick them up and (if you've purchased one of my publishing packages) begin the artwork for your publishing package. When the publishing package artwork is complete, I'll email you an electronic proof of your finished book for your approval.
Once approval has been received from you on the electronic proof then your book goes to print using Amazon's wonderful CreateSpace book publishing service. Your book will then be available for sale on Amazon.com and other booksellers (should you choose).
When the illustrations are ready for delivery they will be sent via my dropbox account where you can download the high resolution illustration files, and save them to a folder on your computer.
You then send these to your chosen publisher or you can use my publishing service.
Any questions please do let me know.